Sunday, April 13, 2008

Color!

After all that work on the design, I realized I was beginning to picture the quilt as having a white background - which I'm quite certain is not, in fact, going to be the case.

So I decided to lay out some fabrics right on top of the full-size paper pattern to begin getting a feel for the dark, rich, vibrant coloring it's really going to have.

Since I'm not cutting anything yet, the shapes themselves are only very rough approximations - it's hard to fold an entire pair of silk capri pants (why yes, I did raid the thrift store for special fabrics!) into a 9-inch circle, for instance.

So the curves are only very rough approximations of themselves, and at this point I can't show a single fabric in more than one place - so there are no hands, and no re-use of anything for shading purposes.

But it still gives a much better idea of what we're working toward.

There are still lots of things to work out - like not enough contrast between the clarinet and the fabric behind it, and like not enough potential for contrast where the swirls are going to go in the lower right corner. But this is a nice starting point.



Also?

Check. This. Out.

I'm willing to discuss or modify almost any part of this project, but the cello will be made out of the fabric below. It's a forest green satin with black velvet vines growing up from the bottom. Unbelievable.

1 comment:

Rebecca Walk said...

Hello there,
My mother is a quilter, also in Costa Rica. Her web site is http://www.galeriaoctagono.com/
:)
Regards,
Rebecca