Friday, April 18, 2008

E Pluribus Unum

We all liked the ribbon effect in the post below, but there was a question of the ribbons making some of the figures (especially Cellist and Clarinetist) look kind of like marionettes, which is not at all the desired effect.

Following a suggestion from the Immortal Design Team, I've joined the ribbons so that all three players emerge from (and return to) a single strand.

At this point I'm paying attention primarily to the shapes, so I used a quick 'n dirty fix on the places where the ribbons cross over face & instruments - on the computer, it's much simpler to just use a semi-transparency than to pick specific, appropriate colors for each intersection, but I still wanted to show that the ribbon will be visible behind/through the other objects. I changed the color of the cello for the same reason - it was blending in with Cellist too much, and at the moment I wanted to show the contrast & the flow. The colors themselves will be addressed later.

Also, the ribbon itself will probably be multi-colored or some fourth color in the places where all three entities are merged (at the very top & the very bottom), but once again, the issue at the moment is shape more than color.

I particularly like the way the ribbons flow at the bottom; I think the top still needs work.

No comments: